Blog 4. Learning To Learn
Learning to Learn
This chapter explains that learning is an active, personal process driven by the learner, not driven by a teacher. Learning happens when individuals are curious, engaged, and able to apply knowledge in different ways. The role of educators should shift from being the source of knowledge to also becoming learners who guide and model how to learn.
The chapter explains the idea that knowledge is constructed in 3 phases. Knowledge for practice, knowledge in practice, and knowledge of practice. Growth happens when these three are combined in connected learning communities where people share ideas and can learn from eachother
The text also emphasizes the importance of unlearning and relearning. Old beliefs about education is the idea that learning only happens in classrooms or teachers needing to know everything. This idea should be replaced with more collaborative approaches. Learning today is social, ongoing, and shaped by technology and more connections. Overall, the passage argues that education should focus on creating independent, curious learners who take responsibility for their own growth, rather than relying on traditional, teacher student methods.
The chapter “Learning to Learn” connects to my future career as an Amazon manager because it emphasizes being a learner first, not just someone in charge. At Amazon, things move fast new systems, metrics, and processes are always being introduced. If I go into that role thinking I already know everything, I’ll fall behind quickly. Instead, this chapter shows that real success comes from constantly learning, adapting, and improving. As a manager, I wouldn’t just be telling employees what to do, I’d be learning alongside them, figuring out better ways to improve performance, reduce errors, and make the workflow more efficient. Adapting and improving are actually some of Amazons leadership principles I am forced to memorize. Me being a 22 year fresh college graduate telling people what to do doesnt really look good and its not my style of managing. Management to me is not about getting people to do what you want, its about getting people to want to do those things and that comes from being a genuine person that starts from the bottom. At amazon, I am not the expert. I might be eventually, but starting out, I will be learning from my own employees.
Another big idea from the chapter is the difference between just knowing something and actually applying it. This directly relates to working at Amazon, especially in operations. You can learn all the rules and procedures during training (knowledge for practice), but real learning happens when you're on the floor dealing with real situations (knowledge in practice). Then, after reflecting on what worked and what didn’t, you improve systems and processes (knowledge of practice). For example, if there’s an issue like inefficiency in trailer usage or workflow delays, I’d need to test solutions, get feedback from my team, and adjust which is basically going through that full learning cycle.
The concept of unlearning and relearning is huge for Amazon. The company is always evolving, so what works today might not work tomorrow. As a manager, I’ll need to be flexible and willing to let go of outdated methods, even if I’m comfortable with them. That mindset will help me stay effective and keep my team competitive. Overall, this chapter shows that being a good Amazon manager isn’t just about managing people, it’s about constantly learning, adapting, and helping others grow too.
Comments
Post a Comment